Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My worst Nightmare!

I am the WORST mother EVER!!

Last night, I put the kids to bed; Cody in his bed, Bo in his crib, and me in my bed. Well, around 12:30, we decided to play "Musical Beds". Cody came in and got in my bed, which is fine, no big deal (Cory wasn't home). However, a little while later, Bo started crying, so I went to see what was wrong with him. I couldn't get him to calm down, so I picked him up and rocked him for a little bit, but every time I tried to lay him back down in his crib, he would cry! I was so tired, I just wanted sleep, so I took him into Cody's room (since Cody was sprawled out on my bed), and got in bed with Bo. He fell asleep, and I fell asleep.

I am a light sleeper! I wake up at the tiniest noise! I still can't get over this...

I was sleeping, and all the sudden I can hear this crying! It was hysterical, and scared, and it scared me to death! I flew out of bed and instantly went to check on Cody. He wasn't in my bed! I could hear him crying, but I couldn't find him! My heart was racing, but I was disoriented, (it was 3:00 in the morning!). Finally, I ran past the back door, and there it was, WIDE OPEN!! My heart sank! I looked out, and there is Cody, standing on the other side of the car crying like he was terrified, and in pain!! I flew out there and grabbed him up. Oh my heck, I will never get that image out of my head! He was FREEZING! And shaking so bad! I guess he just woke up in the night, and I wasn't there, and he always knows to come find me in my bed, but he was in my bed, and I wasn't there. I guess he thought I might be out in the car!

Poor little guy. I snatched him up and ran back in the house with him. I think he must have slipped in the snow because he had snow all over the side of him and his hands and face were freezing. I tore off his clothes and jumped under the covers with him to try and warm him up! It was the saddest crying I have ever heard. Scared, hurt, freezing.... it took a while to warm him up, and calm him down but all I could do was hold him, and he made me put my arms around him, and every time I loosened my hold on him, he would squeeze my arms back tight around him. I just held him and cried! How could I let this happen!? I left car doors open, all night. I couldn't think of anything but getting him warm and safe again!

I have been pretty shaken up this morning thinking of all the things that could have happened. I have been up all night the last two nights because my boys and I have had the flu, so I was exhausted, but I can't believe I didn't wake up! I have no idea how long he was up, or how long he was outside, I just know I am so grateful to my Father in Heaven for not letting anything happen to my little boy! My heart is so full of gratitude that as bad as this was for me, Cody is inside safe and happy eating a waffle for breakfast when it could have been so much worse!

Here are his little footprints in the snow walking out to check in the car for me!


**Just so you know, the door was locked, the bolt and the knob! Cody just knows how to unlock the door! We are going to Home Depot today to buy chains to put at the top of the door!!

3 comments:

Rob and Heather said...

Holly I am so glad to hear that you both are okay. What a scary experience. I am glad too that Our Heavenly Father was watching out for him. These moments really make you grateful for the blessings in our lives.

Becky said...

That would freak me out! I am so glad that all is well. That is so sad!!!

Jill said...

wow, that would scare me too! Isn't it nice how much they love and need you as a mom! They really are totally dependent on us!